Cybersecurity Risk Assessment Template (CRAT)
NIST-Based Cybersecurity Risk Assessment Template (CRAT)
Need to perform an information security risk assessment? This is a pretty common requirement that can seem like an insurmountable obstacle, since most people are not trained on how to perform a risk assessment or they lack a simple tool that is comprehensive enough to meet their needs.
This is where our Information Security Risk Assessment Template comes into play - we developed a simple Microsoft Excel template to walk you through calculating risk and a corresponding Word template to report on that risk. If you can use Word and Excel, you can successfully use our templates to perform a risk assessment. We even give you a completely filled-out example risk assessment, so that you can use that as a reference.
Common Scenarios That Require Information Security Risk Assessments
If you fall in scope for any of these compliance requirements, you have to perform risk assessments and you need this template:
- Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) - Section#12.2 requires companies to perform a formal risk assessment!
- Massachusetts MA 201 CMR 17.00 - Section# 17.03(2)(b) requires companies to "identify & assess" reasonably-forseeable internal and external risks!
- Oregon Identity Theft Protection Act - Section 646A.622(2)(d)(B)(ii) requires companies to assess risks in information processing, transmission & storage!
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) - Security Rule (Section 45 C.F.R. §§ 164.302 – 318) requires companies to conduct an accurate & thorough assessment of potential risks!
- Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act - Safeguard Rule requires company to identify and assess risks to customer information!
- NIST 800-171 - Protecting CUI in Nonfederal Information Systems and Organizations - Section 3.11 requires risks to be periodically assessed!
Given that we designed this risk assessment template based on industry-recongized best practices, you can use our template to address those information security risk assessment requirements. The authoritative sources we used are based on National Institute for Standards and Technology (NIST) frameworks - NIST 800‐30 (Risk Management Guide for Information Technology Systems), NIST 800‐37 (Guide for Applying the Risk Management Framework to Federal Information Systems) & NIST 800‐39 (Managing Information Security Risk).
Simple Solution To Create Professional-Quality IT Security Risk Assessments
Most companies have requirements to perform risk assessments, but they lack the knowledge and experience to undertake such assessments. That means businesses are faced to either outsource the work to expensive consultants or they ignore the requirement and hope they do not get in trouble for being non-compliant with a compliance requirement. In either situation, it is not a good place to be. The good news is that we created an affordable solution for businesses to conduct their own information security risk assessments.
If you can use Microsoft Word and Excel, then you can perform a risk assessment by simply following the instructions and editing the template to suit your specific requirements. While this is a template, we did the hard work of creating the formatting, bringing together the correct scope of information that needs to be assessed, and we built the calculations to make your work as simple as selecting from a few drop-down answers!
Complete Example Risk Assessment Comes With The Template!
One great feature is we provide a completely filled out example information risk assessment, so that you can see what one looks like and use it as a guide for your own needs. This template will save you dozens of hours of work and frustration in building your own template!
Take a look at the example to see for yourself!
If you have any questions at all about this product, please contact us - we would be more than happy to help explain how this solution works and why it is worth it!
Risk Assessment Template Contents - What You Get!
Our latest version of the Information Security Risk Assessment Template includes:
- Section for assessing both natural & man-made risks.
- Section for assessing reasonably-expected cybersecurity controls (uses NIST 800-171 recommended control set) - applicable to both NIST 800-53 and ISO 27001/27002!
- Section for assessing Capability Maturity Model (CMM) - built into cybersecurity control assessment portion of the risk assessment.
- Blank templates in Microsoft Word & Excel formats.
- Fully filled-out example of the templates that you can edit in Microsoft Word & Excel
Graph Depicting Natural & Man-Made Risks
The Excel-based worksheet comes with graphs showing before & after risk levels. These are just embedded into the report to provide a good visual. The calculations from the worksheets make it easy to show raw risk scores and also weighted scores, which take into consideration the importance of the control, the maturity of the protections in place, and any compensating measures that may exist to reduce the risk.
Risk Assessment Matrix
The calculations show raw risk scores and also take into account weighting factors, such as the importance of the control, the maturity of the protections in place, and any compensating measures that may exist to reduce the risk.
Cybersecurity Risk Assessment Template (CRAT) Cost Savings Estimate
Similar to the RMP example above, when you factor in internal staff time to perform reviews and refinements with key stakeholders, purchasing a CRAT from ComplianceForge is approximately 34% ($2,000+ savings) of the cost as compared to writing your own documentation and 21% ($4,500+ savings) of the cost as compared to hiring a consultant to write it for you!